With gifts large and small, our donors have helped us to build 20 housing, treatment, and service facilities. We serve more than 2000 adults with mental illness each year and offer a range of programs and supportive housing to improve the quality of life for those with psychiatric disabilities.
Maintaining these achievements for the future is the goal of Interim’s Legacy Society. The Legacy Society will help us to provide support and housing in the future.
Making a commitment to sustain Interim for the future is not difficult to do. Two simple gifts now can make a huge difference to Interim in the future.
Naming Interim in your will or trust means that your generous donations to support adults with mental illness will continue even after you are gone. Naming Interim as the owner and beneficiary of a life insurance policy can provide an easy, often tax-deductible, way to ensure that our programs continue.
Planning to make a gift for some future time may seem confusing. There are so many different types of planned gifts — stocks, real estate, annuities, retirement plans —all with different tax implications.
Or, you may assume that planned gift opportunities apply only to the wealthy. This is not true. Everyone can create these types of planned gifts. Supporting a mission you believe in is something you already do in countless ways each day. When you talk to your financial advisor, ask him or her about including Interim in your will or estate plan.
Your support will help us to create Housing, Healing, and Hope for adults with mental illness for the next generation.
Legal Information for Your Financial Advisor
Please share this information with your financial advisor so that you can be assured that your loyal support is directed to people with mental illness in Monterey County:
PO Box 3222
Monterey, CA 93942
Federal Tax ID # 51-0159122
For additional information, or to discuss other types of planned giving, please contact our Development Office at 831.649.4522, ext. 205.
Special Needs Trusts
Steven Mudd, Attorney at Law
HEMPLE & MUDD LAW
HOW TO MAKE A LEGACY GIFT TO INTERIM INC.
There are several ways to leave a legacy to Interim Inc. and ensure that your gift continues to do good works long into the future. Most options are simple to arrange and may result in beneficial tax considerations.
- A bequest in your will, or by designation of Interim, Inc. as a beneficiary in your living trust, insurance policy, or tax deferred retirement plans such as IRA, Keough, profit-sharing or 401-K or 403B plans. Simple language in your will can specify an amount, a percentage of the estate, or the residue of the estate to go to Interim Inc. after other specific gifts have been made to family and friends.
- The establishment of a highly tax-advantaged trust can provide income to family or friends during their lifetime and designating the principal to Interim thereafter. The trust can also be set up to provide income to Interim for a specified number of years, then the principal goes to your named heirs. This option may significantly reduce your estate taxes.
- A gift of property such as your home, vacation home, or condominium can be done with significant tax benefits, and you can continue to live in your home. You may choose to gift the entire home or just a part interest in it, reserving the rest for family or friends. This type of gift can offer significant tax advantages.
- Naming Interim as the Owner or Beneficiary of a life insurance policy can provide and easy, often tax-deductible way to ensure that our programs continue
- Naming Interim as the remainder beneficiary of the residual amount in a Special Needs Trust can help a disabled family member in their life time, and then continue to help Interim continue programs to help other clients after the family member has died.
These methods may sound technical, but they are simple to arrange with the help of your attorney or tax advisor. All of these gifts may provide estate tax advantages. Some may also provide current tax deductions and eliminate capital gains tax.
Interim can discuss these options with you. When you decide which is best for you, we are available to talk to your attorney or tax advisor if you wish. If you do not currently have advisors, Interim has a list of professionals you might choose.
Simply call Interim’s Executive Director or Development Officer at (831) 649-4522.
“The best use of life is to invest in something that will outlast life.”
DESIGNATE YOUR GIFT
Individuals may wish to designate the usage of their Legacy gift. Some of Interim’s Legacy Society members have decided to direct their gift to the endowment fund, a specific program, or for the area of greatest need.
Following are areas that may be named in your will:
The Endowment Fund – provides for the future on an ongoing basis.
Building Fund – provides money for the development of new building projects, such as permanent affordable housing.
The Dorothy and Joe Messner Endowment Fund – Supports recreational activities and wellness and recovery and peer support
Undesignated – provides support to the area of greatest need as designated by the Board of Directors.
If you would like to create a donor named fund for a special purpose with a donation of $10,000 or more, please contact us.
A Legacy Gift...the gift that goes on giving.
In 1999 an anonymous donor helped to establish a small endowment fund to support Interim. Today Interim’s Endowment Fund continues to grow with the principal remaining in perpetuity. The interest is used to support Interim’s programs throughout Monterey County.
Donors who share our desire to build a strong future include the Interim Endowment Fund in their estate plans. These donors are recognized through the Interim Legacy Society. As a member of the Interim Legacy Society, the following benefits are available:
- Income and estate tax reduction
- Possible increased income by converting low yielding assets to higher yielding assets without capital gains tax
- Probate avoidance
- Planning for the needs of family members
In addition, you will receive invitations to estate planning seminars, major donor recognition events, and other educational and community events.
Most importantly, by creating a legacy gift during your lifetime, you have the satisfaction of knowing that your planning will fulfill important community needs, and that you have left a legacy for the future.
We have a legacy society. Membership is open to anyone who has designated a future gift to Interim, Inc. Simply let us know of your plans by contacting the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 831 6494522 ex 204. You do not need to reveal the size of your commitment or provide a copy of your will.