The initial deadline for submitting applications for Rockrose Gardens has now passed. Applications will still be accepted, however, they will be dated as of when they are actually received, and will go on a wait list. Applications received after May 1 will not be in the initial lottery.
Construction of Rockrose Gardens, Interim’s newest affordable housing project with supportive services for people with psychiatric disabilities, began in August of 2013 with occupancy slated for Fall of 2014! Rockrose Gardens is a supportive housing complex designated for very low- income individuals with disabilities. It will provide 20 units of permanent, affordable housing for adults with psychiatric disabilities. For this complex, the disability must include chronic mental illness. Apartments are expected to be available for move-in by September/October 2014.
Call 831-646-2220 Ext. 323 for questions regarding Rockrose Gardens. TDD users may dial 1-800-735-2929
Click here for photos from our Groundbreaking Ceremony on September 27, 2013!
Click Here for a photo update from January 23, 2014.
This exciting project will provide 20 units of new affordable, permanent housing for low-income adults with psychiatric disabilities.
And it will replace two abandoned, blighted buildings that currently occupy the site!
The three buildings that make up Rockrose Gardens will include a two 2-story residential buildings and a 1-story community building surrounding a central courtyard.
The two residential buildings will provide 20 one-bedroom units of affordable housing and a 2-bedroom resident manager’s unit. The community building and courtyard will provide comfortable places for residents to meet and socialize and offices for support staff.
To date, Interim has been awarded grants of more than $5.2 million toward this $5.6 million project from a variety of state and federal sources, but government grants do not cover the cost of furnishings for Rockrose Gardens, and because our residents are very low-income and may have been homeless, they can’t afford to furnish the apartments themselves. If we don’t provide furnishings, they resort to sleeping on the floor!
- $11,000 will furnish the Community Room and provide a safe, warm, comfortable space for residents to gather for meetings and meals.
- $6,750 will furnish the courtyard with benches, chairs and a BBQ so residents can enjoy fresh air and sunshine.
- $5,500 will furnish an entire apartment so that those who have nothing can make a new start.
- $3,000 furnishes a living room so residents can gather for family visits.
- $1,500 provides a kitchen starter pack (pots.pans/dishes, etc.) and a small table and chairs for home-cooked meals.
- $1,000 buys a bedroom set (mattress, box spring, headboard, chest of drawers, and bedside table) for someone who may have slept under the stars for months at a time.
- $550 buys and installs a weather-resistant park bench so residents can enjoy the safety of the protected courtyard.
- $250 buys three lamps for each apartment to light up the life of a new Rockrose Gardens resident.
- $100 buys a microwave for the Community Room kitchen.
- $50 buys a stackable chair for Community Room meetings.
- $25 buys a “Welcome” mat with a special message for someone coming home for the first time.
Can you make a donation to help Interim purchase new furnishings for Rockrose Gardens and create safe, welcoming living spaces for our residents?
Click Here to download schematics and a technical description of Rockrose Gardens.
Don’t feel secure about donating online? Download and print our donation form and mail it to:
Rockrose Gardens Capital Campaign
P.O. Box 3222
Monterey, CA 93942
For information on pledge donations, donations of appreciated stock, or other ways to give, please call Interim’s Development Office at 831/646-2220 ext.306 .
THANK YOU to the following local foundations (in alphabetical order) for helping Rockrose Gardens become a reality!
The ACTION Council for Monterey County
Community Foundation for Monterey County
Interfaith Outreach of Carmel
Monterey Peninsula Foundation